Call for artists to install public art on Appalshop grounds
1 year ago
Appalshop is seeking visual artists to design and install three to six (3-6) new major public art installations around the Appalshop grounds. Recent grant funds were awarded to aid in a long-term goal of incorporating more public art into the grounds around the two main Appalshop buildings on Madison Avenue in Whitesburg. These installations can range from murals to sculpture to interactive installations or combinations of the above.
In this process we are prioritizing local and regional artists, a diversity of artistic approaches and styles, long-term durability, and at least one interactive installation. Projects should be no more than $10,000 in cost, including materials and labor. However, we encourage $1-5,000 projects as well. Multiple proposals from a single artist or group are welcome.
- Visually connect Appalshop Main and Boone buildings
- Engage residents and visitors who pass by
- Visually inform visitors about the use and essence of Appalshop
- Install 3 to 6 major public art installations
- RFP released to public and sent directly to artists
- Group information session at Appalshop on January 16, 5:30 pm at Appalshop. There will also be opportunities for one-to-one visits with prospective artists and Appalshop staff prior to February 1
- Committee reviews submissions, request clarificiations and forward proposals to Appalshop staff
- Appalshop staff reviews proposals and selects three to six artists thorugh discussion and voting
- Artists awarded contracts by February 14th to complete projects
- Projects completed by June 1
Qualified proposals include:
- Sketch of project proposal in landscape of Appalshop grounds
- Cover letter addressing Appalshop goals, project strategy/justification (max 2 pages)
- Brief project budget with expected material and equipment costs, material source and artist payment
- Project timeline from selection to completion
- Three (3) images or links to past work
- Three (3) professional references
Proposals should be submitted to [email protected] by February 1, 2020. Please include "Public Art RFP" in the subject line. Proposals can also be delivered to: Care of Public Art RFP, 91 Madison Ave, Whitesburg, KY.